Natural Skincare Tips for Teen Acne – The Basics
Acne, or spotty skin, isn’t just a teen problem anymore, however, it’s still very much an issue that affects a large percentage of teenagers due to their changing hormones. It needs to be handled quite differently to adult acne, although some of the basics are still the same. Here are five natural skincare tips to follow when trying to treat teen acne:
- Keep skin clean, but not squeaky clean! Teen skin is prone to over oiliness but what you’re trying to do is balance the oiliness so there’s less of it, rather than removing it completely, as otherwise skin will produce even more oil to compensate for the lack of. Therefore, you want to use a natural cleanser that will effectively clean your skin without stripping it.
- Exfoliate regularly but don’t overdo it. Young, acne-prone skin needs all the help it can get to clear out dead skin cells and oil, which exfoliation is very good for. However, one of the best natural skincare tips we can give you is to pick a gentle natural exfoliator that will gently buff your skin without scratching it.
- Be aware of what you’re putting on or near your face. Things like flannels, towels, pillow covers and phones are all breeding grounds for the bacteria that can cause spots, so keep all of these things as clean as possible.
- Don’t pick at your skin. This just makes things much worse by spreading bacteria that may already be on your skin, or adding new dirt from your fingers.
- Lastly, keep your skin well hydrated and use a natural moisturiser appropriate for your skin type. A big mistake many spot-sufferers make is to not use a moisturiser, but every skin type needs moisture, especially oily skin which is struggling to regulate its moisture level.
Olivia and the team x
The Benefits of a Natural Cleanser for Clogged Pores
Clogged pores come in many shapes and sizes, from blackheads (small black bumps), to spots (on the surface of the skin, usually with a white head) to cysts (large lumps under the skin) and can be a nightmare to treat. The severity of clogged pores can also vary wildly, from occasional mini-breakouts to full blown severe acne.
A simple and easy way to ease congested skin is to give it a thorough cleansing treatment using a plant-based natural cleanser. However, this does not mean stripping away all the oil on your skin (as this will then send a message to your body that your skin has no oil and your natural defence will kick-in and supply more!) However, by using a gentle natural cleanser with a good, exfoliating cloth (either a muslin cloth or a simple face flannel will do) you can ease clogged pores and gently remove any congestion. Never treat congested skin harshly as it is already inflamed and you don’t want to anger it further.
Using a natural plant based cleanser is an easy way to ease congested skin. However, if you have severe, long-term skin breakouts then it’s worth visiting a doctor to try and establish why it is that your skin is reacting in this way as it can be a sign of an underlying cause!
Olivia and the team
Why We Love Our Natural Facial Exfoliator
Exfoliation is an essential part of every skincare routine as it helps remove dead skin cells, dirt and flaky patches, leaving skin looking brighter, clearer and more polished. Considering it performs such an important function, it’s a good idea to invest in a natural facial exfoliator that has been carefully formulated to deliver all these results with as little abrasion as possible.
There are two types of exfoliators: one of which is manual, containing little beads or grains that manually polish skin. The other is a harsh chemical exfoliator which contain acids that dissolve dead skin. Our Natural Refining Revitalising Facial Exfoliator is a manual exfoliator that contains tiny beads of natural bamboo that will very gently lift away dry skin and polish new skin without any scratchiness, making it a perfect product for all skin types including sensitive.
Plus, by using tiny beads of natural bamboo particles as our exfoliator, you can rest assured that you are not flushing micro beads of plastic down the drain – a hazard to our oceans and sustainability at large!
We have formulated our natural exfoliator to add hydration so that you’re not only polishing skin, you’re also replacing any lost moisture from the cleansing and exfoliating process, therefore you really will notice a difference after use. Use this whenever your skin is feeling congested, rough or just when you fancy a quick bit of pampering.
Olivia and the team x
Using Your Savar Plant Based Face Wash
A plant based soap free face wash formulated with soothing, natural ingredients can be one of the best products for your skin – it will comfort and calm your skin. Our Savar plant based soap free face wash is multi-tasking, 100% biodegradable and very gentle on your skin. Below are a few top natural beauty tips for getting the most out of your Savar Luxury Face Wash.
Tip 1: If your skin is prone to break outs use this plant based soap free face wash morning and night. After night cleansing, dab a very small amount of honey (preferably raw) on any spots, leave on overnight and wash off in the morning. This combination will go a long way to achieving healthy spot free skin which is something we all love.
Tip 2: Our Savar plant based face wash also makes a fabulous natural shaving gel for men and women by creating a gentle foam and a good glide for your razor to work over without snagging and causing the razor to catch on hairs or skin.
Tip 3: Gentle enough to keep your skin healthy, our soap free natural face wash is also a great makeup remover instantly and gently removing non waterproof mascara and can be safely used on all skin types, including sensitive skin.
Olivia and the team x
Natural Beauty Secrets – Three Beauty Time Savers
Life can be busy, and although we all intend to stick to a great natural skincare routine, things get in the way! No one is perfect. Here are three easy ways to slot beauty into your sometimes hectic schedule – taken from our own experience.
Washing up or cleaning dishes:
This is a fantastic time to sneak some natural beauty care into a normal chore, as you can take full advantage of hot water and gloved hands. If you apply your natural hydrating moisture mask beforehand, the steam and warmth will help the mask penetrate that much deeper into your pores. Another great idea is to cover your hands in natural hand cream, or nourishing natural body lotion before putting on your dish gloves – this gives the cream time to soak in (assisted by the heat) – when your gloves come off your hands will be beautifully soft.
Bath or shower time:
It’s an obvious one, but you can organise your bath or shower to make the most of the time. If you wash your hair at the beginning, you can then put on a deep plant based conditioner on your hair, or a natural hydrating mask to soak whilst you enjoy the rest of your shower or bath.
This is the time when your body is at rest and still for the longest – so take advantage of it! Soak your hands or feet in a rich natural cream and put on cotton gloves or socks. You may also wish to use a natural skincare moisture mask overnight. The extra hours that the moisture has to soak into your skin will leave you feeling soft and nourished.
Olivia and the team x
Best natural skincare regime for your 30’s
By the time you reach your 30’s, your skin will have started to show the first signs of age, even if you’ve been looking after it with a solid natural skincare routine; sadly it’s unavoidable! What better time to start upping your natural skicnare routine to include treatments that are designed to support and nourish your skin.
It’s important you take into account your skin type before assessing what natural products you need. For example, if you suffer from oily skin then you will need to adjust your routine accordingly so that you don’t exacerbate the problem. However, if you are oily-skinned then chances are you will be showing less signs of ageing than your peers with other skin types - every cloud has a silver lining!
It is recommended that you should start with a natural creamy cleanser that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils. A creamy cleanser as part of your skincare regime will be soft and kind to your skin.
Keep skin well moisturised using a natural moisturiser, whatever your skin type. If you’re oily then you still need to up your moisturising, yet be aware of products that make oiliness worse. The focus doesn’t need to be on moisturisers as you can keep skin hydrated using gently formulated toning sprays throughout the day. This keeps your skins water level up and ensures it doesn’t become overly dry.
If you haven’t already, now is a great time to introduce a natural serum in your skincare routine. A serum is the ultimate food for your skin and will add goodness and moisture and help your current moisturiser work at its optimum efficiency.
Vicky and the team
A Note on Gratitude
Here at Savar Natural Skincare, we are great believers in mindfulness and expressing gratitude. Gratitude is an emotion expressing appreciation for what one has, as opposed to an emphasis on what one wants. Studies show that we can deliberately cultivate gratitude, and can increase our well-being and happiness by doing so. In addition, gratefulness—and especially expression of it to others—is associated with increased energy, optimism, and empathy.
Listed below are a few benefits of gratitude that will encourage you to start trading your expectations for appreciations!
1. Gratitude opens the door to more relationships. Showing appreciation can help you win new friends, according to a 2014 study published in Emotion. The study found that thanking a new acquaintance makes them more likely to seek an ongoing relationship. So whether you thank a stranger for holding the door or you send a quick thank-you note to that co-worker who helped you with a project, acknowledging other people’s contributions can lead to new opportunities.
2. Gratitude enhances empathy and reduces aggression. Grateful people are more likely to behave in a prosocial manner, even when others behave less kind, according to a 2012 study by the University of Kentucky. Study participants who ranked higher on gratitude scales were less likely to retaliate against others, even when given negative feedback. They experienced more sensitivity and empathy toward other people and a decreased desire to seek revenge.
3. Gratitude increases mental strength. For years, research has shown gratitude not only reduces stress, but it may also play a major role in overcoming trauma. Recognizing all you have to be thankful for – even during the worst times of your life – fosters resilience.
Gratitude costs nothing and doesn’t take much time, but the benefits are huge – why not try to recognize and express it in your own life!
Olivia and the team x
Beauty Secrets - A Natural Fem Wash
Taking care of our skin and body extends to all parts of ourselves – not just that which is visible, such as the face. This means that a safe and gentle natural Fem Wash is an overlooked yet incredibly valuable skin care product to own! It is important to look after this sensitive area using premium natural products, to ensure we treat it gently.
The benefits of a natural Fem Wash for women are huge. These include:
- Promoting a clean intimate area
- Supporting vaginal health, assisting protection from inflammations and odours
- Calms and soothes skin before and after waxing
- Maintains pH balance using natural ingredients
Made in New Zealand, our premium natural Fem Wash is formulated for all skin types including sensitive skin, can be used during menstruation, pregnancy, while breast-feeding and ticks all the boxes. This natural formulation is soap free and formulated to a natural healthy PH balance to support the skin’s defences.
Designed to be used daily, this mild, antifungal soap-free natural Fem Wash is carefully crafted with some of nature’s finest ingredients to gently cleanse and protect, providing long lasting freshness. Along with calendula (a natural antiseptic), aloe vera, cranberry and rosehip, these natural ingredients work together to assist in soothing and calming irritated skin.
Olivia and the team.
Spring Skincare Tips with Natural Skincare
With the onset of Spring and warmer weather, people often change their wardrobes in favour of lighter layers, yet many neglect to realise that the same must be done with your skincare. Typically, the introduction of Spring means warmer and increasingly humid days. Naturally your skin will cope differently to this weather, compared to how it did perhaps in the cold dry climate of winter.
Here are a few of our tips to change your natural skincare regime during Spring:
SPF – increase in sunshine hours and longer days mean your face will be exposed to more of the sun’s rays. It is so important to adopt a natural moisturiser with a higher SPF content to protect your skin! By using SPF under your makeup each day, your skin will have an effective barrier against the penetrating rays of the sun. Try to go for a natural, plant based SPF moisturiser that won’t clog your pores and cause breakouts.
Lighter moisturiser – as the weather get warmer and more humid, your skin is likely to naturally sweat and produce more oils. It is recommended that you use a lighter moisturiser or serum than the one you used during winter.
Toner – using a light and refreshing toner to reduce shine, brighten skin and refine your pores is a must as it starts to get warmer. Aim to use an alcohol-free, natural and balancing natural toner that can be spritzed on your skin to hydrate and cool throughout the day.
Exfoliate – if you spring clean your house, why not spring clean your skin? Whereas in winter, your skin is drier and more sensitive, you could begin to exfoliate using a natural exfoliator during springtime more often. This removes old layers of skin and leaves your skin feeling fresh!
Most importantly, get out and enjoy the sunshine.
Olivia and the team.
Plant Based Beauty and You
For centuries, people have been extracting and using the numerous benefits of natural plant based beauty products and ingredients – whether that be for diet, health or their skin benefits. Plant based beauty extracts used in beauty products such as ours can do wonders for the skin! Below is a list of just a few of the plant based extracts we use in our products, and the benefits of them.
- White Tea – anti-aging, eases inflammation and soothes irritation.
- Manuka Honey – natural antimicrobial that is powerfully soothing, calming, moisturising, protecting and promotes healthy skin.
- Blackcurrant seed oil – rich in essential fatty acids, anti-aging, renewing and rejuvenating.
- Pomegranate – one of nature’s best anti-aging antioxidants that nourishes, restores and replenishes.
- Fig – deeply hydrating, especially ideal for sensitive skin.
- Avocado –one of natures true wonders that's anti-aging, fast absorbing, uber-nourishing, softening and protecting.
- Aloe vera – soothing, anti-fungal and antibacterial. Assists in calming irritated skin, skin infections and promoting healthy skin.
- Rosehip – super rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that nourish, revitalise, heal and protect skin. It also assists in evening out skin tone and targeting fine lines.
Instead of looking at a label of your skincare product and having no clue as to what you are putting on your face, wouldn’t you rather know that you are providing your skin with the best natural and plant-based support? We at Savar are such big advocates for providing yourself with the best possible support - including a plant based diet, skincare regime and healthy lifestyle!
Olivia and the team x
Savar Plant Based Skincare